Monday, October 15, 2007

Things That Shouldn't Happen on a Rainy Day but Inevitably Occur

I think almost everyone loves rainy days. Who could resist the romance of the dark sky, the relaxing sound of the rainfall (unless you have to pee) or the fun of snuggling into warmer clothes? Although I am among those who love rainy days, they are almost always accompanied by an unlucky circumstance in my life. Rain is nice, but it makes everything hellaz worse.
Today, it is raining. It's not torrential, but it's falling hard enough to be uncomfortable and also to wet my jeans up to my ankles. The following is a condensed compilation of unfortunate events that have occurred on rainy days and/or foolproof methods to predict the weather:

1) Whenever I finally decide to spring for a $7 carwash (I think it's called "Express Wash" but I always say "can I have the one that's only $7 please?" to Kompletely Khaki Kathy, the girl in charge of the carwash payments), it rains.It MUST rain at least 72 hours after I get my car washed. The "Rain Check" deal where you get to come back if it rains only applies to the 48 hour period after a carwash.
2) It has rained every time I have an outdoor lab experiment to conduct for Meteorology. This is probably because that is just too ironic and funny for the Lord Almighty to pass up an opportunity to rain on a group of people studying solar angles. If I were God, I'd make it pour.
3) Flight delays always occur due to inclement weather; however, the worst is this tiny airport near school that Bruno the Boyfriend and I sometimes fly out of. If anything resembling a drop of rain falls, a flight will not leave for at least 2 hours. Bruno and I sat on a plane for 5 hours once, and he got so bored that he threw up. Seriously. It probably wasn't even real rain. I bet one of the luggage guys was a mouth breather who had a lot of saliva and he managed to get a tiny drop on whoever is in charge of saying that its too rainy to fly. Oh and P.S., the flight was only 45 minutes long. Another time I was flying alone out of that airport and we couldn't recline our chairs that luxurious fourth of an inch because we needed to take caution while flying in such heavy fog (and by heavy I mean a screen door is harder to see through than this was). Having a chair in its upright and locked position is the safest thing you can do on a plane. No one wants to take that kind of risk.
and the best of all the rainy day stories, something I like to call..
4) The Worst 22 Minutes of my Life: September 14th, 2005 @ 7:38am. While walking to class down the very long boulevard, it began to pour. I mean REALLY pour. We're talking start-building-an-ark rain. Luckily, I had my trusty compact pink umbrella with me (courtesy of the Air Force Village version of Wal-Mart in San Antonio) and I pulled it out just in time to stop my Hollister ensemble from getting soaked. Faux vintage "Orange County" tees are hard to come by. At that moment, the sky darkened rather quickly and a large bolt of lightning forked across the sky. The wind began to blow harder and the thunder rolled on as I plodded my way to my class which was still a good 18 minutes away. Suddenly, a gust of wind came and turned my umbrella inside out, and just as I reached up to fix it, the top of the umbrella popped off. There I was, shivering in rain of Biblical proportions, holding a lightning rod. I quickly picked up the top of the umbrella and fashioned it into some sort of a crude bonnet by bending the wires beneath my chin. At precisely 8:00am when I reached the door of my building, it stopped raining.

So if you see me wearing a vintage t-shirt while driving in my clean car to a Meteorology lab, get your umbrellas ready. It's about to pour.

No comments: